Aeon is a nonprofit developer, owner and manager of high-quality affordable homes in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Established in 1986, the award-winning nonprofit has built or renovated more than 2,700 apartments and townhomes, which provide stability to more than 4,500 people each year – including individuals and families with low to moderate incomes and formerly homeless individuals. The organization’s inspiration to create community assets that last for generations stems from its name “Aeon,” which means “forever.” Its vision is that every person has a home and is interconnected within community. To learn more about Aeon, please visit www.aeonmn.org
The Controller reports to the CFO and is responsible for all accounting-related activity for Aeon and its subsidiaries, including accounting and reporting, annual financial audits and tax returns, annual operating budgeting and forecasting, overseeing the accounting system and managing the accounting team. Aeon currently manages over 42 properties with over 2,700 apartment homes, , an average of 8-12 properties in its acquisition/development pipeline and has an accounting team of seven people.
- Develop, recommend and implement company-wide accounting policies, procedures and internal controls
- Develop and manage the company-wide accounting and financial reporting system, including initiating and coordinating system and process improvements
- Manage accounting team and supervise all accounting staff. Assign accountabilities, recruit and hire, manage performance, and train and develop staff
- Manage cash and cash accounts
- Maintain all financial books and records. Supervise full cycle accounting processes for all operating properties, real estate development projects, lines of business, and parent and subsidiary entities. Supervise all intercompany accounting, eliminations and consolidations
- Manage the financial reporting function; produce all internal and external financial reports. Reports include monthly financial statements and variance reports, tax returns and other tax-related reports, construction draws, cash management reports, grant reports, analytical reports and key performance indicators and other financial reports to Aeon’s management, board of directors, lenders, investors, other funders and tax and compliance agencies.
- Supervise annual financial audits and cost certifications, ensuring accurate representation and timely presentation of Aeon’s and its subsidiaries’ financial statements
- Provide tools and financial information for preparing operating budgets, operating projections and cash flow forecasts.
- Train and assist staff persons who use financial information to advance understanding and management of financial performance. Coordinate with management and peers to provide financial information that meets user needs and supports management decision-making
- CPA with a minimum 10-15 years related experience
- Minimum 5 years’ supervisory experience managing at least 3 staff concurrently
- Experience setting up, migrating to and maximizing use of new accounting systems
- Strong management and organizational skills, problem solving and ability to handle multiple priorities
- Proven ability to lead growing, fast-paced accounting department with multiple entities, projects and deliverables
- Proficiency with Yardi or related accounting system and MS Office software. Experience with Salesforce, a plus
- Demonstrated knowledge in the field of real estate development strongly preferred. Knowledge of non-profit GAAP and federal grants management preferred
- Knowledge of regulations regarding low-income housing tax credits, HUD subsidy and financing programs and other federal, state, and local government affordable housing financing programs preferred
Compensation is commensurate with education and experience. Cadillac benefits package includes: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, retirement plan, paid time off and an employee assistance program.
Position is open until filled.
Aeon is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
Employees and residents are encouraged to apply.